[Xcb] How to implement rectangle selection in XCB?

Maeglin Vardamir belcon at gmail.com
Sun May 31 22:25:51 PDT 2015

Hi guys,

I am a newbie to XCB. I want to use XCB to develop an application. Here is
what I need to do: select part of one window and save the selected
content(picture) to a file. Later, I can use this file to check whether
this picture exists in the other window or not.

Here I have one question about picture selection
Like GIMP, when I click the button of the mice and move it to another
position of the specified window, I should draw a rectangle from the point
I clicked to where I moved my mice. During the process, the rectangle is
growing up. Since I can't change data of the specified window, should I
create a transparent window over the target window? Or any other ideas?

Thanks,
  Belcon