[Xcb] Question about a xcb_util.c commit

David Coppa dcoppa at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 14:30:34 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I have a question regarding this particular commit, "Fallback to
TCP if no protocol is specified and the UNIX connection fails",
that you can see at
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xcb/libxcb/commit/?id=7d235c62f0d5bd0df1236cc52141c10c5d272a18

Does anyone know the rationale behind it?

It seems strange to me to try to connect via tcp if opening the
unix socket fails (because the X server crashed, for example).

I'm asking because this piece of code does not interact very well
with the way we're sandboxing some window managers (specifically
i3) using pledge() on OpenBSD.

When pledged, i3 is not allowed to open AF_INET sockets, only AF_UNIX
ones.

Cheers!
David