Broken XHTML on a lot of xcb manpages

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Jun 9 17:08:12 UTC 2024

On 6/6/24 03:47, hkc wrote:
> Your XHTML generator generates invalid XHTML document, making a bunch of
> browsers complain about it and cut it off. Some browsers (specifically,
> Firefox), straight up reject rendering those pages.
>
> I've noticed that problem on a bunch of `xcb_get_*` pages, but it could be
> happening elsewhere too. I checked some at random and none of them render properly.
>
> This problem persisted for a couple months, or possibly longer, I noticed it it
> back in April of this year, but it doesn't seem that those pages are updated
> that often, so I could assume it could've been happening for much much longer.
>
> Affected pages: I believe anything under
> https://www.x.org/releases/current/doc/man/man3/*.xhtml, but some examples
> include
> https://www.x.org/releases/current/doc/man/man3/xcb_get_font_path.3.xhtml,
> https://www.x.org/releases/current/doc/man/man3/xcb_get_window_attributes.3.xhtml and https://www.x.org/releases/current/doc/man/man3/xcb_query_tree.3.xhtml

Those pages were generated a bit over 12 years ago and not updated since.
(The timestamps on them are all "Apr 15  2012".)  I don't remember exactly
how they were made, but they contain a hint:
<!-- Creator     : groff version 1.20.1 -->
<!-- CreationDate: Sun Apr 15 13:31:30 2012 -->

Ideally we'd hook up something in the CI to generate them, and then replace
the current static pages with links to the CI output, but no one has put in
the time to figure out how to do that yet.

> I also mentioned that issue on Fediverse, but my instance has strict
> authentication rules, so post is not visible. Should be visible from
> [@]XOrgFoundation[@]floss.social account though!

I don't know if posts to that account are being actively monitored or not.

         -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris