XDG-APP for software development

Daniel Espinosa esodan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 11:38:07 UTC 2016

Is it possible to reuse OSTree Sdk, create a branch, make it read/write and
use it as a place where you can install your dependencies.

Is it possible to use xdg-app to distribute libraries? A kind of plugin to
Sdk, where authors of libraries, like me, is able to distribute new
versions to develop against.
El abr. 28, 2016 2:31 AM, "Alexander Larsson" <alexl at redhat.com> escribió:

> On ons, 2016-04-27 at 14:59 -0500, Daniel Espinosa wrote:
>>
>> I'm installed Builder from stable apps gnome repository.
>>
>> I would like to use libgee and/or install more libraries in my build
environment.

>> AFAIK org.gnome.Sdk, provides most utilities to develop software against
it. I was able to develop on libgda on it. But what about other software
requiring third party libraries not included in official SDK?

>> How can I add more of this libraries, to org.gnome.Sdk? or
>>
>> How can I create a new SDK with the libraries my software requires?
>

> I don't think that is the right way of viewing things. Yes, the
gnome-builder xdg-app depends on the sdk because it needs clang and stuff
for e.g. parsing C code. However, if you're building an app, and that app
has more dependencies than what is in the sdk we should be bundling that
with that app. In the context of day-to-day app development this means that
gnome-builder should be doing the building in a child xdg-app instance that
has the dependencies pre-installed in /app (possibly with a different SDK
than the one builder uses even ).

> Unfortunately this requires recursive xdg-app instances, which is not
possible, so we need some kind of portal that allows builder to launch such
recursive instances.

Is that possible or planning? Should be great for any one using a box
requiring not just develop, but have an stable system for day to day work.
Like me, I'm using Debian, and may consider Red Hat EL, to do my day work,
as stable environment, but I'm unable to use jhbuild. I would not
re-consider to go to Ubuntu 16.04, I want to be away if it, but need some
good alternative. No Fedora, I've tested and makes my system unstable,
non-continuous environment, because I have to update 6 to 8 months later,
and I need some thing with more time, but allowing to develop upstream on
libgda and GXml.

> --

>  Alexander Larsson                                            Red Hat,
Inc