Flathub, initial proposal

Robert McQueen rob at endlessm.com
Wed Aug 31 16:00:15 UTC 2016

On 30/08/16 15:20, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> I imagine a web service that you create an account on, somewhat similar
> to say github or the ubuntu PPA service. Your account gets access to a
> per-user ostree repository, and you can create projects and upload
> builder json manifests for them. These get automatically build on
> several arches and you can pull the builds for testing. Once the build
> is working you can click a button to push them to a stable repository
> that you can tell your users to pull from.
> One very important issue is where to host this initially. I want to
> bring this up with the Gnome Foundation as a start, but we may also
> want to talk to e.g. Digital Ocean for hosting. They seem to be
> sponsoring a lot of free software stuff.

Freedesktop.org itself has some pretty large boxes donated by the likes
of HP, Intel and Google, hosted for free with plentiful bandwidth from
Portland State Uni. It might be worth also chatting with the fd.o
sysadmin folks (CC'd Tollef) to see if that might be a worthwhile angle
to pursue.

Thanks,
Rob

Robert McQueen  |  +1.415.413.4159  |  Endless <http://endlessm.com/>