xdg-open from within an xdg-app?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Feb 23 10:58:14 UTC 2016

On tis, 2016-02-23 at 09:43 +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> [Hi all; I thought I had subscribed to this list long ago, but
> apparently hadn't, and only seen the few mails that got crossposted
> gnome-os-list; so if the below has already been discussed, please
> just
> point me to the archives.]
>
> I'm trying to package LibreOffice (LO) as an xdg-app, and one thing
> LO
> wants to occasionally do is call other apps to handle some URLs
> (like
> calling a browser when clicking on a hyperlink in a Writer doc), in
> the
> xdg-open style.  However, doing so from an xdg-app sandbox (even a
> fully
> privileged one) of course does not work.
>
> So what I thought about is a trivial DBus service running outside
> the
> sandbox that just forwards any arguments to xdg-open.  Is that
> something
> that we would want to add?

This is essentially what portals are. Plus some host-side UI to
guarantee that this is safe.

> (In its simplest form, that service would arguably have security
> implications for unprivileged apps, but it could be opt-in on
> --socket=session-bus.  My first aim at least for a sandboxed LO is
> give it full privileges, anyway.)

Opening a url, and opening a local file with another app, is one of the
first portals I plan to work on. I was hoping to start working on the
portals by now, but a lot of other stuff is getting in the way.
However, I hope to work on this soon.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a scrappy one-eyed paranormal investigator from the 'hood. She's a
tortured foul-mouthed traffic cop prone to fits of savage, blood-crazed
rage. They fight crime!