Your site insturctions for installing Flatpak needs updating

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Jun 20 07:58:46 UTC 2016

On tor, 2016-06-16 at 23:53 +0200, Jorge García wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my opinion one of the key benefits for users of flatpak bundles
> over regular packages is the ability to install new versions of
> software in old distros.
>
> For example [1]:
> * Ubuntu 12.04 has LibreOffice 3.5.7
> * Ubuntu 14.04 has LibreOffice 4.2.8
> * Ubuntu 16.04 has LibreOffice 5.1.3
> * LibreOffice's flatpak bundle is version 5.2
>
> I think users of Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 might be more interested of
> trying LibreOffice's flatpak bundle than 16.04's ones.
>
> Maybe Open Build Service [1] could be helpful to make the packages
> for the different distros.

I don't necessarily disagree with these people wanting to use flatpak,
but every thing I have to support is more work that I can't spend on
other things, and as such the latest Ubuntu LTS is clearly the most
"bang for the buck", as it is easiest to support (newest dependencies)
and its what most people eventually will update to.

That said, it seems supporting trusty would be interesting, because
thats what jenkins uses which would be nice for running CI for github
commits/PRs.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a lounge-singing shark-wrestling filmmaker who must take medication
to keep him sane. She's a tortured punk cab driver who dreams of becoming
Elvis. They fight crime!