Plans for portals that integrate widgets inside the app window?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Jun 22 13:14:37 UTC 2016

On ons, 2016-06-22 at 12:36 +0200, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> From what I know, the first portals that will be implemented (e.g.
> the
> file chooser portal) will open another window, that runs in another
> process outside the sandbox.
>
> But are there plans to have portals that integrate widgets *inside*
> the
> app window?
>
> The example that I have in mind is an integrated file browser in a
> side
> panel of a text editor or IDE. Are there plans to implement such
> feature
> securily? so that the app can access the filename and content of only
> the files that the user has chosen to open.
>
> It would probably need a compositor to integrate the drawing of the
> app
> and the drawing of the integrated widget(s). With a D-Bus API like
> for
> the "external" file chooser portal.
>
> I know an implementation for that is not going to happen anytime
> soon,
> one thing at a time, but I'm curious to know the overall plans.

At some point i spent time making recursive wayland compositors for
embedding widgets working:

  https://github.com/alexlarsson/wakefield

That said, i'm not sure this is useful in the larger scope of portals.
There is just so much complexity in a generalized plugin scheme like
that. Themes? Keyboard shortcuts? Size negotiation? Toolkit behaviour?

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's an immortal soccer-playing barbarian trapped in a world he never
made. She's a cynical tomboy archaeologist with someone else's memories.
They fight crime!