Localization

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Jun 29 08:03:48 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-06-29 at 05:45 +0000, Mattias Eriksson wrote:
> Hi
>
> How is localization thought to work? When I built Geary using
> flatpak-builder, it seems that I got a org.gnome.Geary.Locale
> runtime. So when I created the flatpak bundle for geary I didn't get
> any locales. And do I have to install runtime addons for all
> applications I wan't to have localized?
> I don't really understand the gain of doing it this way?

I haven't really considered locales for bundled apps. Not sure how to
handle that. In general we split out the locales to a separate runtime
because then you can use the --subpath= argument when installing it to
do partial install of the locale data.

For instance, you could do:
  flatpak install org.gnome.Platform.Locale --subpath=/sv --subpath=/fi
 Which would get you only swedish and finnish locales.

The locale data for runtimes is actually pretty large, but perhaps its
not for apps. You can disable the locale generation in flatpak-builder
by using "separate-locales": false.