Localization

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Jun 29 08:43:18 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-06-29 at 08:23 +0000, Mattias Eriksson wrote:
> Yes, I found the separate-locales option, but I still think it should
> default to false for regular apps. Locales cant be that big that the
> size gain of splitting them out is worth not having the apps
> localized by default.

They are not as small as you would think. Try for instance:
du -csh /usr/share/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/nautilus.mo
That is a total of 12 megs on my machine. Inkscape is 21 meg.
Not insignificant! And if you start bundling libraries with your app it
grows even more.
The expected way you install the apps is using gnome-software, which is
planned to automatically install sub-setted locales. So, this is not
expected to be a practical problem for most users.