flatpak "end-user" CLI (was Re: Localization)

Robert McQueen rob at endlessm.com
Wed Jun 29 10:59:07 UTC 2016

On 29/06/16 11:41, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 29 June 2016 at 10:17, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> * Is the update/remove case handled automatically when there are
>>> locales installed or do I have to handle that explicitly?
>> You have to do that explicitly.
>
> So if the user installs an app with the flatpak CLI, should
> gnome-software "repair" the app and also install the required locales
> too?

I think it would be nice if we try and make the flatpak CLI experience
coherent and useful, and logic like this "decide some locales and get
them too" was centralised. This is beneficial for other app management
UIs as well.

I think some of the very obvious friction points we could avoid would be
things like this - where your apps would be surprisingly broken if you
follow the cargo-culted recipes which are already spreading across the
internet (including Flatpak's own webpage)...

Otherwise we'll end up with someone writing dnf/apt/yum for flatpak
because it doesn't really do what most users will expect, which would be
a shame.

A reasonable "default to the system repo if we have the permissions, but
otherwise act on the user, unless --system or --user is passed"
heuristic would be a nice step in this direction too.

Cheers,
Rob

Robert McQueen  |  +1.415.413.4159  |  Endless <http://endlessm.com/>