Some flathub thoughts

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at daitauha.fr
Wed Sep 21 08:07:33 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-09-21 at 06:50 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> flatpak-builder needs to download all the sources, but if we
> downloaded that source before we should reuse that. Also, if we do
> download something new we should save that for the future (both to
> avoid multiple downloads and for GPL reasons). This is not so hard
> for tarballs, but its somewhat more complicated for git/bzr
> mirroring.
> Partly because we do some complex git submodule handling, but also
> because git mirrors change over time, so its we to store need extra
> information to know what exact commit a build used. Maybe we need
> some kind of support for this in flatpak-builder.

This would be very useful, regardless of flathub.

I've had to debug a build of org.gnome.Games in the past, and the only
way I could figure out what git commits were used to build it was to
look at the build logs, which was very time consuming.

Having this information right in the built flatpak app would make this
much, much easier.

--
Mathieu