Create an app from a distro package

Hervé Werner dud225 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 21 05:33:02 UTC 2016

Hello

I'm looking to be able to run a browser in a sandboxed environment, so that I may install flash and all kind of dubious plugins in an isolated context. Also being able to launch ephemeral containers is interesting for me as I may want to start from a blank profile sometimes.

I've read about Flatpak, it seems great for that use. However I'd rather not compile myself all the stuff to create my application as everything I need is already available from my distro. So I'm currently wondering how I could leverage distro repositories (Debian in my case) to extract packages and install them in a Flatpak app.

I've though about extending the SDK to add apt* tools in it, but I'm not sure if it's doable. Other way would be to tell apt to install stuff in a custom directory but that's not handy as it also needs /etc/apt configuration and creates various files underneath /var.

Please give me your advice and thougths.

Regards

dud