Some flathub thoughts

Jorge GarcĂ­a jgarciao at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 13:43:26 UTC 2016

Hi,

Exactly what goes into each repo is completely up to the user to decide. He
> may have one repo per app, or
> multiple apps in one repo, depending on his usecase.
>

>From a developer perspective having N apps in the same repo seems handy.
However, for the end user store website, having 1 repo per app could help
implement some functionalities:

- Calculate download stats from http server logs

- Require authentication to download from a repo (useful for app purchases)

- In case is required a manual supervision of the apps before they are
published or updated in the main store (the repo is updated), isolate the
reviewing process of different apps

- Make it easier to unpublish an app from the store

> Another question is how isolated we want the builds to be. Do we run
> each build in a fresh VM, or do we rely on the sandboxing that
> flatpak-builder uses? I added a "--sandbox" argument to
> flatpak-builder which disallows you from specifying
> break-out-of-sandbox arguments, but the container approach is always
> less isolated than a full VM, but slower.

Can flatpak apps be build inside docker containers? If so, maybe it would
be a good idea to publish official flapak-builder-ARCH docker images for
users to build their apps locally and for the official build machine.

Best regards,
Jorge