external media / flatpakrc

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 15:16:32 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-02-16 at 10:49 +0000, Robert McQueen wrote:
> We've got some reports from users that eg they can't play movies in
> VLC
> which are stored on an external HDD. As this is a binary we're
> downloading, it's not patched to support flatpak and the document
> portal, so we've added --filesystem=home. However this means
> /run/media
> isn't accessible. Do we want --filesystem=media which maps in
> /run/media/youruser as well?

--filesystem=host should give you this. Any particular reason you went
with just --filesystem=home ?

> Similarly / relatedly, I've personally got some data folders mounted
> on
> my system (/mnt/sd) which aren't in the "usual" place - and symlinks
> from eg ~/Pictures to locations on that external drive. This is
> probably
> not a hugely uncommon set-up - thinking of people with large data
> drives
> mounted at /data, Windows dual boot systems in /mnt/c, etc.
>
> This is totally system-specific, and not knowable in advance by the
> flatpak/apps themselves - so even if the app maintainer enabled
> home,
> media, etc - it would not handle this case. Is it worth us
> considering
> some kind of flatpakrc file which allows the user to feed in
> additional
> command line arguments? Such as:

you can do:

flatpak override --filesystem=/mnt/sd:ro org.my.App

To add this. Or did you mean as some kind of generic catch-all option?

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a fiendish Jewish werewolf searching for his wife's true killer.
She's a psychotic blonde bodyguard with an evil twin sister. They fight
crime!