Rebasing yocto to new freedesktop platform?

Emmanuele Bassi ebassi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 13:52:49 UTC 2017

On 8 March 2017 at 12:57, Robert McQueen <rob at endlessm.com> wrote:

> If you are in an experimenting mood, I wonder if there are any yocto
> reproducible build overlays/whatever that could usefully be turned on? Even
> if not perfect / full coverage, anything that increases our chance of not
> spitting out new binaries when nothing else has changed, reduces download
> churn for end users.

On the "reproducibility" and "reduced changes" sides, Yocto 2.3 seems
to have improved:

  https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Reproducible_Builds

the newly added recipe-specific sysroots should enable stable rebuilds
and deterministic ordering.

It would be nice if we could have a deeper integration between OSTree
and Yocto, as well as Flatpak, so that Yocto would be able to tell
Flatpak that something has changed and skip the rebuild entirely. For
instance, being able to know if a differently hashed input will result
in a different hashed output, as well as identifying eventual changes
in the output hash that may have been caused by a build issue as
opposed to an actual change in the build source.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
https://www.bassi.io