Perl Gtk3 app

Daniel Kasak d.j.kasak.dk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 00:50:10 UTC 2017

Hi all.

I'm investigating the feasibility of packaging a perl-gtk ( gtk3 )
application using Flatpak. The application will soon be released under the
GPL, but there will be commercial plugins from various sources ( in
particular, us, but also 3rd party things like DB drivers ). There is quite
a list of dependencies, even for the open-source version. For example we
need the latest unixODBC, we need a long list of obscure Perl libraries. We
of course need all the gtk3 dependencies.

I've done a quick search on the github page, and seen maybe 2 or 3 issues
where people discuss customer build scripts ( which I guess I'd need for
the perl libs ).

Anyway ... questions:

1) Can an application depend on more than 1 repo?
2) Are there any Perl repos in existence? I guess I'm asking too much for a
Perl repo with all the Gtk3 bindings built already? :) I guess this isn't
*too* hard to build on Linux? It's practically impossible on Windows.
3) Does Flatpak allow files to be injected into an application after
installation. For example, there are some commercial ODBC drivers that I
can't legally distribute. Users however can purchase, download, and install
them into a regular linux system. Is there a way to push these libraries
into an installed Flatpak application? Alternatively I assume I can expose
/ map a part of the host filesystem to my application? I'd prefer not to do
this if possible - I like the idea of sandboxing the app, in particular
because clients will feel much safer installing a sandboxed app.
4) Does a sandboxed flatpak application have a permanent storage space for
storing configuration files, etc? If it does, where does this live? Would
each user get their own storage space?
5) I understand that Linux is the only OS currently targeted. Has anyone
tried Flatpak under Window's "bash for windows" thing? I'd be interested in
hearing thoughts on future compatibility.
6) Assuming an application can depend on more than 1 repo, would an
application that pulled in both GPL and non-GPL dependencies using Flatpak
be considered "distributing", and therefore possibly not compliant with the
GPL?

Are there any other issues that I don't appear to have considered yet that
would throw a spanner in the works? :)

Thanks.

Dan