Building for ARM systems

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Mar 13 15:08:47 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Dan Nicholson <nicholson at endlessm.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 4:58 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2017-03-07 at 03:05 +0100, Aleix Pol wrote:
>>> Dear Flatpak'ers,
>>> As some of you already know, I've been poking around trying to find
>>> some kind of system where we can build the KDE runtime and
>>> applications for ARM.
>>
>> For the applications, the fix is a package install on the build system,
>> and a flatpak-builder option away. See this post as well as the
>> original one:
>> http://www.hadess.net/2016/10/flatpak-cross-compilation-support.html
>
> We use this QEMU setup at Endless for our ARM apps. It's slow but
> works fine for apps. I think building a whole runtime would be
> painful, but you could give it a shot.
>
> The details in Bastien's post is that if you have qemu-user-static
> installed with the appropriate binfmts (usually provided in distro
> packaging), then you can run binaries emulated for any architecture
> QEMU supports. On linux-4.8+, the interpreter associated with the
> binfmt is opened immediately by the kernel and kept open so it doesn't
> need to live in the mount namespace setup by flatpak. Pass the
> appropriate arch to flatpak-builder and it magically works.
>
> On older kernels you can still do it, but you have to somehow get the
> interpreter path used in the binfmt definition included in the
> sandbox. One way would be to include qemu-user-static in the SDK at
> the same path as the host (e.g., /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static). What I did
> at Endless was hack the binfmt definition to use /run/qemu-arm-static
> and then add a bind mount from the host into the sandbox at that
> location.

Hi,
So since nothing was really working and the cosmos doesn't seem to be
keen on offering proper ARM systems, I decided to give it a go.

Yet, I'm getting an error message at the first thing ever executed:
execvp ./configure: No such file or directory

Any idea what can be wrong?

Aleix

PS: I'm testing this on ubuntu yakkety (kernel 4.8.0) and the flatpak ppa