Building for ARM systems

Alberto Ruiz aruiz at gnome.org
Fri Mar 17 17:52:44 UTC 2017

Hello Aleix,

Sorry for being late to the party, but I thought I should mention that
GNOME has an ARM server in our racks donated by ARM themselves that we
recently provisioned and right now is sitting idle AFAIK.

I'm pretty sure we can figure a way to give you access to VM running in
that box for your build purposes. Is that something that would help you?

> Dear Flatpak'ers,
> As some of you already know, I've been poking around trying to find
> some kind of system where we can build the KDE runtime and
> applications for ARM.
> Now I can add that it's been without much luck. I'm sending this
> e-mail with my experience to put the problem in perspective so we can
> see if there's something we can do about it.
>
> To clarify a bit, my goal initially was to get to run our applications
> on the Plasma Phone through Flatpak [1]. It's a Nexus 5, running an
> armhf ubuntu-based beast.
>
> To compile it I thought it would work just to get a cheap-ish hosting
> service and use it for to build the binaries. I tried:
> - scaleway: there it wouldn't even start doing anything, presumably
> because it was missing neon?
> - "mything beasts" rpi hosting: somebody suggested it on #flatpak, the
> distro they have is too old and we can't add the ppa there for
> dependencies reasons. Didn't push it further.
> - rpi3 at home: using the SD was unbearably slow (we're talking ~1h to
> install the Freedesktop SDK) and I didn't have much time to spend on
> it. There could be some optimal set up, but I'm not convinced.
>
> Anybody has a good idea of how to proceed?
> Would it make sense to invest some time into seeing if it's possible
> to cross-compile? I've seen some approach WRT using qemu too.
>
> Thanks!
> Aleix
>
> [1] https://twitter.com/AleixPol/status/834051053645594624

Cheers,