[RFC] XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

Lennart Poettering mzkqt at 0pointer.de
Tue Nov 9 16:26:29 PST 2010

On Wed, 10.11.10 01:05, Patryk Zawadzki (patrys at pld-linux.org) wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Lennart Poettering <mzkqt at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> > Note that XDG_RUNTIME_DIR needs to be implemented in some lower-level
> > part of the OS anyway (e.g. on Linux: systemd).
>
> Why systemd and not for example ConsoleKit - a standard component of a
> desktop machine?

If somebody wants to add that to CK then that is fine. However, I do
believe the right place for this is actually systemd, since we can
safely bind the per-user systemd instance, the dbus user bus, the
existance of XDG_RUNTIME_DIR to the kernel cgroup that makes up the
session. With all that in place we will have definition of a session
that transcends all layers of our stack.

Also note that systemd already does a lot of the stuff CK does, and I
became CK maintainer precisely for the reason to merge CK's
functionality into systemd in one way or another.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.