Icon Theme Spec and Cross-desktop Themeing

Rodney Dawes dobey at free.fr
Mon Aug 4 17:41:01 EEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 05:46, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 17:23, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is an initial mail to warn you all that I'm working on a
> > proposal for updates to the Icon Theme spec, and to solicit
> > complaints against the current revision, or suggestions for
> > improvement. Currently my proposals exist of the following:
> >
> > - Adding support for the ~/.themes tree
> > - Standardizing names for icons, so that we will actually have
> >   cross-desktop icon themes, rather than a buttload of duplicate
> >   icons, because they are named differently between kde and gnome
>
> I hope you manage that, but when I asked about this doing the original
> spec it seemed like people did not want this:
> https://listman.redhat.com/archives/xdg-list/2002-September/msg00039.html

After talking to a number of people on IRC, and the responses to this
thread (or lack thereof), indicates to me that people either want it,
or have no reason to argue against it. That seems quite good, since we
do need standardization of names. If you are referring to the ~/.themes
change, I believe that people didn't "want" it, because Mandrake, SuSE,
and KDE, et al. are already used to using the "icons" dirs, rather than
unifying theme directories. I could be wrong, but this is at least what
I was told last time I brought up moving it to the "themes" layout.

-- dobey