~/.themes [ Was Re: Icon Theme Spec and Cross-desktop Themeing]

Craig Drummond Craig.Drummond at gmx.net
Mon Aug 4 17:59:45 EEST 2003

> As I understand it, XDG_DATA_HOME is just a hidden dir. Hidden
> directories are not stupid at all. And ~/.themes is not adding

They are when you have:

~/.gnome
~/.gnome_private (why6 isn't this ~/.gnome/private ?)
~/.kde
~/.qt
~/.gimp
~/.mozilla
~/.wine
~/.xmms
 etc, etc...

And now you want also:

~/.themes
~/.icons
~/.fonts
~/.thumbnails

...plus all the config files : ~/.gtkrc ~/.gtkrc, ~/.kderc, ~/.DCOP*, blah
blah...

Putting all config data, or whetever into ~/.config would make things much
cleaner. I'm by no means the only person who wants tm omove all this rubbish
into 1 place. It gets reall confusing when you do a ls -aF ~ -- theres way to
many dirs. And surrounding the spec in an env var gives users the *choice* of
moving these to a location of their preference!

> mechanisms. We could move them all to XDG_DATA_HOME, but that would
> require a lot more work than initially moving the icon themes to the
> same directory structure as themes initially. Perhaps later on, we can
> move all themes to XDG_DATA_HOME, (assuming it is ~/.config, as stated

*surely* its better to do this now - before more and more apps/people assume
~/.themes is where they should be placed?

> in another mail in your icon themes thread). Once all the themes are in
> a central location, it's easier to to move them all, than to have a
> large dispersal of different locations to deal with. I don't have the

Hence move them to $XDG_DATA_HOME/themes (or whatever the env var) is now.

> time to write a general theme spec right now, but we need one. I will
> be making some patches to glib and gtk+ for the 2.4 release to make all
> the theming stuff more abstract, so that people can easily support
> themes in their applications or libraries or whatever. From what I
> can tell from the web site, I need to do this by Sept. 1, which is the
> hard feature freeze date for 2.4. Either way, I don't believe your
> proposal is a solution to the overall problems of theming the desktop.

But why do you WANT to have a seperate dir? This is just madness... I can't
beleive that writing a little bit of code to read an env var, and settnig a
default if its not set, is that hard a task! If your going to move the
location - as you say you are going to - then why not do it properly?

> -- dobey

Craig.