Base Directory Spec Queries

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Tue Aug 5 07:18:53 EEST 2003

Hi,

I was just reading the Base Directory Spec so that I could hack support
for it into XFce 4.2. I have a few queries:

1. Why does $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS default to the rather cryptic /etc/xdg
rather than, say, /etc/desktop-config ?

2. Why isn't there a system-wide counterpart to $XDG_CACHE_HOME? I
realise that /var/cache is obvious ... but it offends my sense of
symmetry not to have it explicitly stated. :)

3. How stable is this spec? Is there any plan to work on it further? It
seems pretty clean and complete to me, but I thought I'd ask... :)

4. Is there a reference implementation? That is, is there code that I
could spend a couple of hours downloading, studying, compiling and
installing so that I could avoid writing the 10 lines or so needed to
support it? :)

Thanks,

-- b