[Annoyances] X-Windows Copy & Paste

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Aug 21 16:20:32 EEST 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 06:32:00AM +0200, Marko Macek wrote:
> When a newbie asks how do to copy/paste there is > 50% chance that
> somebody will reply "copy with left button and paste with the middle"
> instead of it "works the same way as in windows/mac, use standard
> bindings Ctrl+XVC, Ctrl/Shift+Insert/Delete".
>
> This is why I proposed an option to disable this easter egg by default.
> It is confusing people IMO.

Disabling it isn't awful, worth considering. Though the ongoing
PR campaign to smack down the "paste with the middle" legend should
continue. ;-) Because it makes people think X cut and paste is broken
when it isn't.

> I definately disagree with any combining of the two concepts. It will
> only add more confusion :(

Yes. My point is simply that the CLIPBOARD stuff works as it should
(when following the specs).  Let's not change it. And PRIMARY works as
old X geeks expect, so if we want to turn it off by default fine, but
it's not worth changing.

The problem that does need solving is persistence of clipboard after
an app exits, ideally without harvesting a selection and freezing its
format immediately.

Havoc