[Annoyances] X-Windows Copy & Paste

George jirka at 5z.com
Thu Aug 21 20:59:26 EEST 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 04:32:25PM +0100, Richard Boulton wrote:
> I think option 5 is what we have to live with for the moment, and option
> 6 would be better except for the need to modify X.

You can also combine either one of these two with the "application persists
as long as it owns the clipboard".  Most apps will only store text in the
clipboard and as such only store small amounts of text, so copying that
data needlessly is not a problem and there is no problem of forcing a
specific mime/type.  The only apps that would need to take care of
their clipboard better would be apps that have different formats then
the "clipboard manager" supports.

I think focusing more on a few very standard "data exchange formats" would be
better for these apps rather then advertizing EVERY possible format.  If the
app supports more formats while it's running that can be a plus, but at least
some data would be left behind if it crashes/exits to the "clipboard
manager".

George

--
George <jirka at 5z.com>
   Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.