XMMS Second Generation - Comments.

Tobias Rundström tru at xmms.org
Tue Aug 26 12:01:59 EEST 2003

On mån, 2003-08-25 at 23:50, Martin Konold wrote:
> Hi Tobias,

Hi Martin,

> > #freedesktop since we have choosen to use DBUS as IPC for XMMS2.
>
> I am very much interested in your experience with using DBUS for IPC.
>
> Can you please share them with us?

Short version, we are very pleased. We had a lot of problems in the
begining, but I think that was because we where the first "real" program
to use the p2p model. We don't have any bugs related to dbus (as we know
of) now.

The API is very straightforward and easy to use, which is good since the
documentation could be a lot better. The unixsocket transport seems very
fast and has low latency, we use it to transport the fft-data on each
sample to the client in order to draw the spectrumanalyzer without any
problems.

The concerns I have regarding DBUS now is that it's not very tested on
anything but linux and only seems to work with g_main_loop in glib. I
hope the devlopers will get it to work with QT and on other platforms
soon enough.

Hope that helps.

//Tobias