OpenDoc: a forgotten standard

Guido Draheim guidod-2003- at gmx.de
Tue Dec 2 11:33:42 EET 2003

Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I just wanted to mention.. Apple and IBM had this nice standard that Microsoft
> killed because it would compete with OLE/COM.
> http://www.wohl.com/g0021.htm
>
> The source code (AIX, OS/2 and Windows) was once available on IBM's website but
> I was unable to find it nowadays. This kind of technology is required since,
> even for Microsoft, the desktop is moving back from the network centric scheme.
> If anyone is interested and has some good contacts at IBM or Apple, please
> rescue it :).

it reads 1994, years before XML has taken over to be the technology
foundation, instead of ole-type containers. There are some projects
underway near w3 org that point in that direction but those "boards"
need a few years 'till they come to a conclusion. Hopelly, them have
knowledge of these earlier attempts.

cheers
-- guido                        http://google.de/search?q=guidod
GCS/E/S/P C++/++++$ ULHS L++w- N++@ d(+-) s+a- r+@>+++ y++ 5++X-