Enter GNUstep

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Fri Dec 5 06:09:23 EET 2003

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 00:12:07 +0100, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 08:24, Fred Kiefer wrote:
> >
> >>Some of you may already know GNUstep, it is even listed on the
> >>Freedesktop web pages as "The GNU OpenStep? Implementation". And yes,
> >>this is what GNUstep tries to be, a free implementation of the OpenStep
> >>standard, while keeping up with some of the enhancements that Apple did
> >>to it. (Would anybody mind to remove the question mark? This could be
> >>seen as offending by some people)
> >

> > No problem to remove, if you create a wiki account someone can add you
> > to the freedesktop group and then you can edit the gnustep text in more
> > detail if you want.
> >
> I don't want to change that much, just to remove the question mark. If
> this require yet another user account and more overhead I give up on this.

Just FYI, the question is autocreated by the wiki because it interprets words
like 'OpenStep', 'SonOfKong' or 'ThisIsJustAnExample' as a hyperlink to a page
with the same name. The question mark merely indicates that such a page has not
been created -- it's not an editorial comment by anybody. The best fix would be
a page with a paragraph or two about OpenStep. But you'd need a wiki acounnt to
do that.

> >>Of course we are planning to implement more. At the moment I am looking
> >>into better support for the window manager standard and there a problem
> >>shows up.
> >

> > The WM spec is the one spec with its own mailing list,
> > wm-spec-list at gnome.org; you may want to post there, since more of the
> > right people will be reading.
> >

> I was not aware of this list. Hopefully there aren't more list waiting
> for me to subscribe.

I'm planning to propound a new rule, 'Biju's Axiom' which states that

"Prolonged exposure to open source development causes your procmail filters to
approach the size of the source you most regularly hack on."

:)

-- b