shared-mime-info implementation

Matthew Allen fret at memecode.com
Mon Dec 15 05:45:50 EET 2003

I've started a LGPL shared-mime-info lib for applications here:
http://www.memecode.com/libsharedmime.php

Maybe someone would like to add it to the list of current implementors:
http://www.freedesktop.org/bin/view/Standards/shared-mime-info-spec#Current_implementors

It's not complete (or fast) and I would be happy to accept patches, comments and flames. If someone would like to host a CVS directory for it that would be great as well. Even if it mostly overlaps the (seemingly MIA) freedesktop.org implementation then I'll still work on it as it fulfills a need for non-GPL compatible applications on Linux that would like to use shared-mime-info. I've deliberately used the same API to be compatible.

When will we see KDE and Gnome start using shared-mime-info? As their current mime-type lists are less than compatible. e.g. KDE's use of 'text/x-csv' verses freedesktop's 'x-comma-separated-values'. This seriously effects applications interoperability and things like XDND which are handle data types via mime typing.

Originally I was writing a shared-mime-info reader implementation inside my own widget library:
http://www.memecode.com/lgi.php
But decided to make it separate so others could use it without the surrounding LGI support classes.

On an unrelated note, I'm wondering whether there is any interest in a XCB (http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xcb) port of LGI (http://www.memecode.com/lgi.php)? It currently uses Xlib and I'm looking for ways to optimize it's throughput and latency. LGI was always been a "to the metal" sort of thing (for me), but there'd be a fair bit of work wouldn't there, to port it? The xcb team seem to be interested in a port of Qt and Gtk+ someday. For testing?

regards
--
Matthew Allen
(fret at memecode.com) (http://www.memecode.com)