EWMH proposal for _NET_WM_WINDOW_OPACITY

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Dec 18 21:28:53 EET 2003

Around 13 o'clock on Dec 18, Billy Biggs wrote:

>   Why not make 0x80000000 (or above) be opaque, as you still have lots
> of precision, and this would make the multiplication math easier.

Ah, there's no precision requirement in this spec.  My implementation takes
the value, stuffs it into a picture and uses it as the mask in the
compositing operation, so I'm only using 8 bits.  Changing Render to make
those operations less precise is a different question; I'm not sure that's
entirely necessary assuming either hardware acceleration or at least
MMX-like software.

-keith