EWMH proposal for _NET_WM_WINDOW_OPACITY

Lars Hallberg spam at micropp.se
Fri Dec 19 01:36:35 EET 2003

Keith Packard wrote:

>Lars Knoll has asked that a feature from Qt available on Windows and OSX
>be available under X.  In those systems, applications may set an overall
>opacity value for their top level windows which the system uses to
>modulate the window content as it is composited to the desktop.  Please
>find a proposal for a simple addition to the wm-spec.xml file.  I've
>implemented this in xcompmgr and transset, but without window manager
>cooperation, applications won't be able to use this capability as it
>requires reflecting any application window property value up to the frame
>where the composting manager can see it.

Sorry for this all to basic and not helpful question... But I just find
this *too* exiting :-)

If I understand You right, X  do now suport semitransparant windows so
the directFB hack with transparent unfokused windows only needs a
windowsmanager to suport it? I have been strongly beleving this was a
directFB hack only.

I love 'fokus folows the mouse', but it needs obvius feedback for where
fokus is. Windows decoration is not *realy* enuf, transparent windows is!

Whith aplication being able to set an opacity this have to be combined.
An example is better then my broken english:

wm: focused window 100% opasity
wm: unfokused window 50% opasity
app: 80% opasity -> focused 80%, unfokused 40%

That sems sane, but might not nessesarly be part of the spec.

/LaH