Session Management Proposal

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Dec 30 01:47:10 EET 2003

Hi Andreas,

>I hope that any changes that will let users shutdown and/or reboot a
>computer from within their session comes with the provision for the
>system administrator to disable this so that there are no reboot and/or
>restart and/or shutdown menu items visible to the user.
>
>I can not perceive of any reason why a _user_ should be able to reboot
>or shutdown a computer. There are many occasions were this is definitely
>not desired.

I can see what you are saying.   It would not be a good thing is some
random user, logging in
remotely, could shutdown a large multiuser system.  I think if a desktop
manager is loaded,
the desktop manager should be in charge of deciding whether the shut
down request
coming from the session manager is valid or not.  If there is no desktop
manager, then
that leaves the session manager with two options..
1) Use console helper if available or (iow, get a password)
2) don't offer reboot/halt at all.

Either way it doesn't look there will be a problem.
--Ray