Session Management Proposal

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Dec 31 16:53:49 EET 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 10:49:53PM -1000, Ray Strode wrote:
> Improvements will be appreciated.

yup, the last paragraph reads "If a client initiates a
SaveYourselfRequest with shutdown set to True but does not set the
_DSME_ShutdownInteractMode property first, then the session manager
should assume an implied mode of _DSME_ShutdownInteractModeActive if the
client initiating the request set fast to False and the session manager
should assume an implied mode of _DSME_ShutdownInteractModePassive if
the client initiating the request set fast to True.".
s/_DSME_ShutdownInteractModeActive/_DSME_ShutdownInteractModeDefault/,
as otherwise every DSME-unaware client would override the user's
setting.

one thing i'm not sure about is the "interact-style". without reading
the xsmp spec it sounds like this is what matthias interpreted "fast"
as. but then one would wonder what "fast" is. bah, i have to read the
damn spec some day. :)

i'll think about a ShutdownTiming property, but a) it would have to be
two properties (CARD32 timeout, CARD8 force) and b) i'm not sure how
useful that would be to xsmp clients (hmm, strictly speaking the
shutdown mode is just as irrelevant for normal clients, esp. if the dm
interface is standardized, so clients can schedule post-logout actions
without bothering the session manager. so after all it comes down to
whether adding (system) shutdown options as a convenience feature of
xsmp (making it a gateway to the dm) makes sense at all).

greetings