Proposed Browser Bookmark Sharing Standard.

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Tue Jul 1 06:59:35 EEST 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:29:29 +0200, David Faure wrote:

>  We decided to standardize on XBEL (and Galeon did so too). I think
>  a spec not based on XBEL would be a terrible mistake.

The consensus seems to be the same. This seems to make a great deal of
sense especially since there is existing support in most of the major
browsers for XBEL, either as a native format or as an importable format.

The sensible thing to do then, would be to rewrite the spec to use XBEL
as the storage format instead of the XDG Menu Spec.

One thing to do would be to specify a location for the file. Does
$XDG_DATA_HOME/bookmarks/bookmarks.xml make sense?

My other questions:

1. How would system-wide bookmarks be handled? These are useful for
system administrators and third-part app developers. From my superficial
scan of the XBEL spec, my understanding that is it doesn't really fall
into the scope of what XBEL is standardizing.

2. How should simultaneous access by different browsers be handled?
Would it be sufficient to specify that the file should be locked for
reads and writes?

3. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of interest in shared history.
Should it be dropped from the spec?

I'm sure I've missed some other obvious issues that need to be
clarified. Please do point them out.

-- b