Website reorganizing

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Jul 8 22:26:44 EEST 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 03:19:43PM -0400, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Heinrich Wendel <sysop at heinospage.de> wrote:
> > I'm currently updating the website to keep it easier uptodate. The
> > changes I just made were agreed upon Havoc. They cause a lot of dead
> > links, but Havoc sayed that would be ok, we will make a custom 404
> > page to notice the users on the changes.
>
> Dead links suck!  Are you moving the location of specifications?  I'm
> sure they're linked to all over the net including from KDE.org.

Well, the idea is you'd get a 404 page that gives you the list of
specs, so you'd just click the one you were looking for. I guess the
other option would be to put in redirects.

What Heinrich is trying to do is to get all the specs working the same
way (DocBook XML converted to HTML in some specific way, with some
specific layout). Right now it's sort of not clear what to edit, and
for example even I don't know how you update the HTML for the WM spec
if you edit the XML. It's kind of a mess :-/

Hopefully can be cleaned up without too much breakage... we're on
freenode IRC, if you want to join #freedesktop

Havoc