Website reorganizing

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Tue Jul 8 22:38:15 EEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 15:14, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently updating the website to keep it easier uptodate. The changes I
> just made were agreed upon Havoc. They cause a lot of dead links, but Havoc
> sayed that would be ok, we will make a custom 404 page to notice the users on
> the changes.
>
> It's now very easy to update a specification, just edit the file or add a new
> specname-version.xml (docbook 4.2 format) file. The html version and a list
> of all versions will be generated automatically. All software related things
> went into the software category.
>
> Another thing I would like to change is to remove all specification files from
> the other cvs modules and manage the master copy in the web module.

Ugh. I certainly dont' want to do this for the xembed and xsettings
specs, where the spec is maintained in a module along with sample
code, etc. I don't think it really makes sense in general .. the
web module is just going to get bigger and bigger and more
complex.

Also, any reorganization of the web site that moves a spec from one
place to another will lose history without manual intervention on
the CVS server.

Regards,
					Owen