Icon Theme Spec and Cross-desktop Themeing

Rodney Dawes dobey at free.fr
Mon Jul 14 18:23:00 EEST 2003

Hi,

This is an initial mail to warn you all that I'm working on a
proposal for updates to the Icon Theme spec, and to solicit
complaints against the current revision, or suggestions for
improvement. Currently my proposals exist of the following:

- Adding support for the ~/.themes tree
- Standardizing names for icons, so that we will actually have
  cross-desktop icon themes, rather than a buttload of duplicate
  icons, because they are named differently between kde and gnome
- Fixing the grammar and spelling errors in the spec

Constructive criticism is well appreciated. What do people think
of having standard directories and filenames for icons that do
specific things, so that they can be shared more easily across the
desktops and, more importantly, between applications. It would also
save a lot of time and hassle for the artists that are making the
themes as well, since they don't have to create copies of icons for
different applications and desktops.

Thanks.

-- dobey