Contacts and Calendars Standard

Navindra Umanee navindra at cs.mcgill.ca
Tue Jul 15 21:51:38 EEST 2003

Daniel Farrell <daniel at farrells.org> wrote:
> For mailboxes, I'm really not very interested in having this interact
> with your local mailserver.  Let the MUA pull the mail from those other
> locations and put it in the standard desktop location.  I'm talking a
> local store so if you are in Gnome you open balsa or evolution and look
> at your mail.  Then you log in under KDE and open KMail and you are
> working with the same local mailboxes.

Isn't there a defacto Unix location already?  ~/mail/ (possibly with
~/Mail/ symlinked to it)...

> Having investigated the mail formats some more I'd actually suggest UW
> IMAP's mbx instead of plain mbox.  It seems to solve the problems mbox

It's been said before, but I don't think you're going to be
standardizing the location, let alone mailbox format any time soon...
What's going to happen for people with existing procmail setups and so
forth when they upgrade?

> has.  And again, this doesn't replace your local server setup.  I want
> to specify this for future desktop users who won't have a local server
> setup.

My opinion (repeating what has been stated here already) is that you
should probably drop the mail stuff...

Cheers,
Navin.