Contacts and Calendars Standard

Jeroen ten Berge Jeroen.ten.Berge at Vialis.nl
Wed Jul 16 15:09:44 EEST 2003

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 02:51:38PM -0400, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> > Daniel Farrell <daniel at farrells.org> wrote:
> > > For mailboxes, I'm really not very interested in having
> this interact
> > > with your local mailserver.  Let the MUA pull the mail
> from those other
> > > locations and put it in the standard desktop location.
> I'm talking a
> > > local store so if you are in Gnome you open balsa or
> evolution and look
> > > at your mail.  Then you log in under KDE and open KMail
> and you are
> > > working with the same local mailboxes.
> >
> > Isn't there a defacto Unix location already?  ~/mail/ (possibly with
> > ~/Mail/ symlinked to it)...
>
> Perhaps we should be making a standard system to *find* the
> location of the
> mail, rather than hard-coding it.
>
> Mail is important user data, so it shouldn't be in either
> XDG_CONFIG or
> XDG_DATA (public sharable data). If it's just a cache for a
> remote IMAP
> tree, then it could go in XDG_CACHE_HOME, but otherwise it
> should be more
> visible.
Note that a lot of home users i know, have a user account for each family member, usually each familymember has a personal email account, and also they have a shared mail account...
I'd like to see for these homeusers a simple choice on first startup of a MUA wether they want a shared mailbox AND/OR a personal mailbox storage, the shared one should reside in XDG_SHARED or whatever, the personal storage should be in XDG_PERSONAL_DATA or whatever. This would be helpfull for starting users.

> This also makes it easier to have multiple profiles (eg,
> 'work' and 'home'
> mail dirs).
>
> So we need:
>
> - A file (or one file per profile) under XDG_CONFIG_DIRS containing:
>   - The location of the mail (~/Mail, ~/mail, ~/.mail,
> ~/Work/Mail etc)
>   - Username/password/server/etc for fetching mail.
>   - Location of the local inbox file.
>
> - A locking system.
And possibly a shared maildir location...

Jeroen.