next level of freedesktop.org

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Jul 17 19:28:30 EEST 2003

On Thursday 17 July 2003 10:32, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> Is there utility in versioned package of common libraries ?
>     - zlib / libbz2
>     - libpng/jpeg/....
> or are these now static enough not to require it ?

  I think these are everywhere...  though some apps still link them in
statically.  (You should see what Macromedia did to libjpeg in their binary
flash player plugin.  It takes a debugger to see, but it's amazing how they
took working code and broke it so badly.)

> The more politically charged question then becomes, how about glib ?
> Its already used in several components, or dependents of components,
> in all of the desktop projects, is it acceptable as an explicit
> platform library, or is the 'g' stigma value too high.  This would

   The g has no stigma problems.  The problem is having 3-4 different
implementations of each type of container linked into apps, and even worse,
having apps that use all those containers internally.

   If glib has to be required, then it should at least be a sufficiently old
version that it is already available in binary form for all the platforms
that these desktops support without requiring extensive hunting.  The common
libraries that use it, should use it internally and provide C primitives in
the public interface.  Then each desktop can wrap this in their choice of
toolkit if desired.  It's not fair to make all desktops use one desktop's
toolkit.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/