GLib (was Re: next level of freedesktop.org)

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Jul 17 21:33:02 EEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 02:21:51PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:

> You can't reasonably propose having a desktop core and a release team
> without getting into issues like this one, Havoc (and how they would be
> resolved.)

Let's put it this way: I'm happy to discuss how it would be resolved,
but I don't want to actually try to resolve it at the moment. ;-)

As far as I'm concerned it would be resolved as follows: if the large
consensus of core developers from various desktops (and toolkits, and
apps) was in favor of including it, we could do so. i.e. we can
include it if people want to. All the major players effectively have
veto power, no matter what we do.

One way to implement that is to have a release team with
representatives from various projects that would be responsible for
judging the consensus.

I really think we should start with easier and more obviously-suitable
modules than GLib. Right now I'm more worried about fontconfig, Xr,
dbus, and so forth, that are somewhat lower-hanging fruit and aren't
already included in any existing umbrella projects.

One step at a time.

Havoc