date DND

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Tue Jul 22 01:34:13 EEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 18:11, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Monday 21 July 2003 23:58, John Meacham wrote:
> > I would very much like to see this on freedesktop.org. DND can be used
> > for a lot of interesting things besides files, and can simplify UIs
> > considerably. for example, I would really like to see a standard DND
> > type for dragging and dropping colors and all color selection widgets
> > should be able to recieve and provide such dnd items. an app which acted
> > like a palette to drag colors off of to customize other apps with a
> > consistant color scheme would be very cool.
> >         John
>
> application/x-color is actually supported by both Gtk and Qt/KDE already.
>
> You may like KColorChooser that comes with KDE.

Hmmm, drops into GTK+ from KColorChooser don't seem to work.

(testgtk:8556): Gtk-WARNING **: Received invalid color data

(gdb) p data.format
$14 = 8
(gdb) p data.length
$14 = 8

The contents look like little-endian 16 bit data, so I wonder
KColorChooser can DND to itself across endian properly?

$ rpm -q kdelibs
kdelibs-3.1-10

Bug still looks to be there in CVS, though it's not clear to me
how to make QDragSource advertise a different format.
(The format says what the units of the data are, and thus
how byte swapping works.)

We could make GTK+ accept format-8 drags as well, but there
would have to be a definition of what endian to expect.
And it's certainly a bit ugly... :-)

Regards,
					Owen