Default browser setting

Shaun McCance shaunm at wolfram.com
Thu Jul 24 00:17:34 EEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 12:48, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 July 2003 19:36, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > after the issue came up for the n-th time on the Evolution mailing list
> > today, I wonder what the latest word is on getting the desktop's browser
> > setting?  I.e. how do I figure out what browser my application is
> > supposed to launch when a link is clicked?
> >
> > Many Evolution users actually run the app under KDE or other desktops,
> > so they don't want Evolution to use the GNOME browser setting (which is
> > what it currently does).  They want it to use the browser that the rest
> > of the desktop is using.
> >
> > Has this been discussed before?  (I am new to the list, and I tried to
> > Google around a little bit but I didn't find much.)
>
> See the "mimetype standard" spec, and the proposed "mime-type/application mapping
> spec, being discussed roughly 2 weeks ago". Once those two specs are implemented
> in most desktops, finding what's the "preferred browser" is only a matter of looking up
> the preferred application for text/html.

That doesn't seem right.  The "preferred browser" shouldn't be bound to
the mime type.  It should be bound to the scheme of the URL.  You don't
know that I'm going to get text/html from the server.  All you know is
that I've clicked an http link.  What mime type am I supposed to query
to find out what to use for mailto?

--
Shaun