User installation of plugins and applications

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon Jul 28 23:23:13 EEST 2003

Is there any standard, or plans for a standard, for users to install plugins
and/or desktop apps without root access?  It's been pointed out that putting
plugins in the application data directory is bad because it should be cross
platform.  It would be nice if users could install (in a distro/OS neutral
way) to their home directory somehow.  This might even lead to the ability to
share some of these types of things in the future.

For instance: I am developing a scientific application right now and root
access is just not always possible for the users.  The plugins are actually
just plain C objects with an XML interface description.  Other applications
use these plugins as well, and it would be nice if they all could look in the
same place for their plugins.  With a defined standard, we could enable this
sort of behaviour.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/