MIME changes

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon May 12 16:10:48 EEST 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:33:02PM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> We have a X-KDE-Text boolean property now in mimetypes, to tell which
> one have a plain text representation - so that kmail can show the
> contents if asked for. application/x-perl, x-ruby and x-python have it
> set to true, for instance, as well as all the text/* mimetypes.

> I think email programs should have the option to view the plain text
> source for everything, builtin, but indeed firing text editors in the
> general case (e.g. from a filemanager) isn't useful (to a
> non-developer).

Wouldn't it be better to just check the start of the file for control
characters? Or even just show it anyway? In ROX-Filer, clicking on any
file with Shift held down loads it as if it was a text/plain file, for
example.

We already have 'text/*' to indicate that text is a reasonable want to
view the file (as a default option). Having another layer ("This file
shouldn't normally be viewed as text, but advanced users could still get
some sense out of it") doesn't seem necessary, given that an advanced user
should be able to view *anything* as text, if they want (eg, an MS-Word
document).

> (The other special property we have is X-KDE-NativeExtension, so that the
> file dialog can offer to automatically append a given extension).

Something like this?

  <preferred-extension>png</preferred-extension>

What happens for files without a preferred extension given in the database?

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk		tal197 at users.sourceforge.net