menu editing

Darryl Rees rees at netnam.vn
Wed May 14 04:35:55 EEST 2003

Is everybody still working on desktop interoperability here? :-)

Whatever solution needs to be flexible enough to cope with different
kinds of needs.

Keep in mind:
(a) corporates need to do customization
(b) graphic artists, musicians and software developers do need different
menu setups and may be sharing the same machine (or the same corporate
standard of a distribution). If I have 20 music/audio apps or 20 image
editing apps I would organize them differently than if I had 2.
Computers that try and outguess users are damn annoying, and when you
can't override the guesses it is infuriating.
(c) not all programs get menu installation right or even install menus.
In gnome, pdf and postscript viewers are under graphics???  what the
hell are the criteria for 'accessories', or 'other'.
(d) customizing your menus is a geeky thing to do precisely *because* it
is so difficult, on all systems.

btw, there are solutions to your wife deleting the launcher but not the
app. eg. in your menu-editing ui have a list of apps currently not in
the menu. Alternatively (or in addition), deleting a launcher
automatically pops up your package manager asking if you want to be rid
of the app.

Bye
Long.