file/libmagic

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Thu May 15 17:22:22 EEST 2003

<quote who="Thomas Leonard">

> The people who currently maintain the various existing MIME databases
> should ask for CVS access on freedesktop.org so that they can update the
> central database (and, perhaps, make new releases).
>
> There should be a list of such people on the site so people know where to
> send corrections and additions.

(Are we / Why aren't we) cooperating with the maintainers of file, and using
the existing system that is deployed on countless systems already? Why are
we using an entirely new format?

I'm perplexed and concerned at the lack of discussion of existing systems on
this list, the eager uptake of NIH standards that don't integrate with
what's already out there in the real world, and the massive chasm between
"desktop standards" and what everyone else is / has been doing.

Having a desktop standards group doesn't mean we *have* to create new
standards, and it certainly doesn't mean we should limit our integration
work to desktop oriented projects only! :-) Surely we want to interoperate
as widely as possible?

Apologies for the mini-rant,

- Jeff

           "'Cause remember, smug is beautiful." - Zachary Beane