pkg-config and cross-compiling redux

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Fri Nov 7 01:05:00 EET 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 22:58, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
[...]
> | (This discussion might be better on xdg-list really)
>
> Sure. But it seams no one commented on it yet. :-(

I was trying to avoid a "me too" post, since the discussion you and Owen
are having seems to be leading to a reasonable solution (the two
implementations seem roughly equivalent, even if they differ in the
details). But since you are worried that you might be talking in a
vacuum: AOL!

My interest in cross-compiling is in building things for the same type
of architecture, but against a different library set (e.g. making an
i386 distribution build that is entirely against uClibc and friends).
Sometimes that is more fiddly (as far as detecting mistakes) than
building for a separate architecture, since the local tools will more or
less work right up the last minute -- you get some of the host platform
libraries linked in. However, usually it is just the same as normal
cross-compiling. The proposed solution(s) work for me in these
situations as far as I can see.

Malcolm