shared-mime-info's terminology

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Wed Nov 19 19:45:01 EET 2003

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 17:43, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 05:10:26PM +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > Am Mi, den 19.11.2003 schrieb Christian Rose um 16:58:
> > > ons 2003-11-19 klockan 16.11 skrev Christian Neumair:
> [...]
> > >
> > > Should probably be "folder".
> > Right. You rock (again and again)! :)
>
> The GNOME word list says:
>
> "Folder: A representation of a directory in a graphical program. Use the
>  term folder when you document programs that use folder icons to represent
>  directories."
>
> Looks like 'directory' would be more correct, since we're talking about
> the thing rather than its representation (KDE may be different; ROX and
> most other Unix stuff use 'directory').

KDE has just adopted a similar terminology, maybe even more extremely:
it's now "folder" almost everywhere, only close-to-filesystem unix tools like
konsole call it "directory".

Since the comment for mimetypes is shown in user apps (e.g. properties menu),
the team who made that change, even changed the comment for inode/directory
into "Folder"....

"Talking about the thing" would be inode/directory. The comment for that mimetype
is the user-visible name - which is "Folder".

PS: in KDE the work on consistent mimetype names was done by Clarence Dang <dang at kde.org>,
who's apparently not on this list. Might be a good idea to run this 'suggested spec' past him/her.