Enhancing Usability regarding Input Methods in the X desktop

Andreas Laestadius an9n at rocketmail.com
Tue Nov 25 16:07:02 EET 2003

In my humble oppinion, there is a usability issue with
the current way the linux desktop handles input
methods. Localization and translation efforts are all
good, however, currently the Linux desktop is
multi-monolingual at best.

It might or might not be easy to implement, but  as a
usability aspect, the X desktop needs a unified,
locale independent and on demand way of setting of the
input method.

This is a significant usability issue for many
multilingual people. I for one switch frequently
between Swedish, English and Japanese, and I know many
people (translators, other multilingual professionals)
have the need to use multiple character sets, input
modes in the same document and / or switch often
between different modes.

Using the LANG variable (as many applications do) to
set the _input_ method for an application is not the
answer, that's localization down the monolingual-lane,
not true i18n.

I am sorry if I come off like requesting a feature (or
stating some kind of wish list), but I strongly feel
for this usability issue.

Where would be the right place for the implantation
for this? Is there any project dealing with this at
present?

Cheers,

Andreas Laestadius

Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor på adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html